List of animal names
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This lists various names animals can have. There are often multiple names that can apply in each situation. Many species of animals, particularly those domesticated, have been given specific names for the male, the female, and the young of the species. There are a few generic terms, "bull-cow-calf", for instance, that are found across species, but many species have been granted unique names for these gender/age characteristics.
See also: List of collective nouns.
- Cat: (diminutive, kitten) kitty, kitty-kitty; (domestic) puss, pussy, pussycat, moggy, moggie (especially if of mixed breed); (homeless) alleycat
- Dog: pooch; (diminutive) doggy, doggie; (diminutive, pup) feist; puppy; (inferior; mixed breed) mutt, cur, mongrel; (slang) fleabag, barker, tail-wagger
- Duck: (diminutive) ducky
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t This animal does not have a specific name for the indicated gender. For example, "male cheetah".
- ^ A group of baboons is not a flange. That was an invention from the humorous television programme Not The Nine O'Clock News.
- ^ A worker bee is a sexually undeveloped female.
- ^ Turdine pertains to entire family turdidae, including the true thrushes
- ^ A castrated male cat is a gib.
- ^ Castrated male cattle are steers in the United States, or a bullock in the United Kingdom. A young female cow that has not given birth is a heifer. See cattle for more names.
- ^ Bovine refers to all species of bos.
- ^ A castrated male chicken is a capon.
- ^ "Bitch," the female term for dog, is also a profanity.
- ^ a b c A group of geese, herons, or ducks in flight is a skein.
- ^ A castrated male ferret is a gib.
- ^ a b A castrated male sheep or goat is a wether. See sheep for more names.
- ^ A castrated male horse is a gelding. A male foal is a colt, and a female foal is a filly.
- ^ A young female pig that has not given birth is a gilt. A castrated male pig is a barrow.
- Dictionary.com Animal Names