From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
PunBB is a fast and lightweight PHP-powered discussion board. It is released under the GNU General Public License. Its primary goals are to be faster, smaller and less graphically intensive as compared to other discussion boards. PunBB has fewer features than similar software, but is generally faster and outputs smaller, semantically correct XHTML and CSS compliant pages.
Currently, PunBB runs on a number of operating systems that are able to support the PHP scripting language. To store its data, PunBB relies on either MySQL, PostgreSQL or SQLite.
The latest version, 1.2.14, was released on Oct 15, 2006.
PunBB's creator, Rickard Andersson, wrote the software for a personal project after he found there was no open source forum software that outputted valid XHTML pages available at the time. Speed and simplicity are the main goals of PunBB, so Rickard chose not to implement features such as private-messaging, polls and file attachments. These features have since been released as third-party modifications.
PunBB was originally known simply as 'Pun' because "pun is a play on words and that's basically what happens on a bulletin board."  This was later changed to ensure the name didn't stand out compared to similar software such as phpBB. The 'BB' addition stands for Bulletin Board.
Version 1.0 of PunBB was released in August of 2003.
The next major release of PunBB, version 1.3, is currently under development. This version will feature many tweaks and improvements of the 1.2.x codebase, along with some new features. These include:
- New markup and CSS.
- Search engine optimized "Fancy URLs" via mod rewrite.
- Proper extension support - Extend the functionality without touching a line of PHP code.
- New topic read marking system.
- Improved syndication - Feeds extended to include individual topics. Also feeds in the form of Atom and XML format.
- Post moderation queue.
- Multiple moderator groups.
- Per-style templates - It will be possible to have one set of templates per style.
- Unicode (UTF-8) support.
PunBB is also open to feature requests.
- Comparison of Internet forum software
- PunBB Support Forums
- PunBB Development
- PunRes – Modifications and Styles
- SpinkBB – PunBB skin generator
Categories: Free Internet forum software | PHP programming language | Free groupware